Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My stairs are clean!

A few days ago I got a call from a company doing a health survey. Usually, I tell people that I am not interested in taking their survey and think to myself, "Get a new job!" But I decided to answer her questions unless they got to pushy or private. Basically she wanted to know if there were any allergies in our home, any smokers, etc... easy questions. She said my name and phone number would be entered in a draw for a $500 gift certificate. Nice!

Got a call yesterday that I had been drawn for either a pair of quality binoculars or for a 2 night getaway... yes! So, they were going to "hand deliver" our 2 night voucher... hmm... this has 'time share presentation' written all over it! But I asked if this was part of a time share program. She said, "no." Ok, what do I have to do? She said, "we have a new product and we want your opinion!" Ha! gotcha!!! I knew it was too good to be true. What is it? An air filter. Well, we already have an air filter so, sure, come on over. We have the strength to say no!

Tonight the presenter came and he had an air filter to show us. So what, ours is better. BUT, he also had a vacuum cleaner. So, I was falling in love with this vacuum... especially the part where the man said, "ok, I am just going to go around and vacuum your house for awhile!" Go right ahead! Come back next week and do it all over again, please!

Anyway... yada yada yada... we have a lot of dirt. So, then comes the price. Ouch! We didn't buy it, but the guy should be an actor because I thought he was going to cry. I wanted that vacuum, but I think I could easily buy at least 8 Hoovers for the price of that machine.

Our stairs are clean, and we get a free vacation! All for a mere 150 minutes of our time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK i am seriously LOL. We had the same thing happen to us a few years ago. Although all we got were some steak knives lol. They are so tricky and they call us like every 6 months with the same sneaky tacticts to get them in the door. I totally get the acting thing the guy we had was a BIG TIME actor and kept calling his BOSS and working the price down. Well sheesh when you start at there price I sure hope it can only go DOWN.

But hey at least you get a vacation out of the deal. WOO HOOOOO!!

Lindy Stamper said...

Ha, that sounds like an episode of Raymond. Where people started to sell them on a vaccum.

Look at it this way, more money on craft stuff. :P

Sarah said...

Too funny Marcy! Yes, he called his boss 3 times I think, within our earshot and kept saying, "I told them that. yes I told them, ok I'll tell them again." Then he hung up and came back with his sad eyes. We've sat through a couple time share presentations to get free sutff, and it is so funny because they are soooo nice until we say no, then they get their boss to come over to tell us how stupid we are for not going for it. Last night was not quite as bad because he just called his boss to keep trying to get us a better deal, but we just said, "hey, we're not in the market for a vacuum cleaner, especially one that is $3400.00"

You're right, Lindy, that is a LOT of craft stuff!!!!!! We haven't seen that Raymond, but I am laughing just thinking about him in this situation!!!

Basement Stamper said...

Oh, don't you hate that!! We had that happen too, right after we got a brand new vacuum, they wanted us to trade up, and I'm like, thanks, but a mortgage payment isn't what I want to pay for a vacuum. So I have a lot of dirt, I'm sure that everyone does ;-)

Katie and Scott said...

That is way too funny! Remember when I moved to Victoria with James? That was one of the jobs he took & then quit 2 days later. I do recall the acting class was one of the first few things they did! As funny as your experience was -- just imagine James @ your door trying to sell you a vaccum --hahahaha!

Louise said...

Must be the same vaccum demo we had in Port Alberni a few years back! AWESOME machine but couldn't justify it when I had a $300 car at the time & not very much carpet - hmmm! What would be wrong with that picture?! We still laugh at that experience, especially when we found out that our friends had done the same thing and weren't going to tell anyone - I just happened to recognize the 'travel' brochure on their counter :)