Saturday, October 23, 2010

Caramel Apples

My boys are part of a Pioneer Club in town. Later this month there will be a Fall Funfair, and I was asked to bring some caramel apples. So.... since I've never made caramel apples, I quickly checked out the process on YouTube and realized it is a piece of cake!

As a family, we decided that we needed a practice run. After all that.... I find out that we will be using a different kind of caramel, so you just drape a big sheet of caramel over the apples and melt it on there. Oh well, this old-fashioned process was a pretty fun family activity, and may just have me hooked on caramel apples for the season!!!

Do you make caramel apples? What is your favourite kind of apple to use? The Granny Smith in this picture is Steve's. The rest of these are Gala apples that I picked up at the Apple barn last week :)





We melted the caramel in the microwave... next time I would do it over the stove. The first couple apples covered fine, but then the caramel cooled really quickly.

After they were set a bit the first night, we cut into them like we saw the guy on the Home Shopping network do! Everyone got one taste, and the rest of the apple had to wait until morning.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Sigh, pure fall bliss.