Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vintage Cameras

Do you still have rolls of film in your fridge? I do. And part of me wants to call my old film camera "vintage," because we are living in such a digital, fast paced era. But then I saw these babies at the Heritage Museum last week, and I've got nothin' on them!



I subscribe to an email newsletter that arrives in my inbox every week from a site called Photojojo. They always come up with interesting topics of discussion in the photo world. This week's newsletter was all about creating that vintage look on your photos, using your modern equipment. While I am not ready to smear Vaseline onto my camera lens, I did find the article interesting. I also find it interesting how so many people long for what used to be.... Article: Vintage Photos

Also in the Heritage museum, there was a section dedicated to two brothers who generously donated their house and land to the community. Their names were John and Henry Newman, and the story of how they came to give away their estate is in the article below.

Enlargement of above article...

It just so happens that John Newman was an avid photographer. The black and white photos in this gallery were all taken by him over the years. They were very good.


Here's one of Newman's photos. I couldn't get over how this woman could contort her body. Many of the other photos were of boats and flowers.

In the early '90s, an article was published in the Victoria Times Colonist newspaper called "Brothers of the Land." It was written by Sandra McCulloch and photographed by Debra Brash. The following year, Debra Brash won an award for her photo of John Newman in his old claw-footed bathtub. I was living in Victoria at that time and I remember reading the article in the newspaper when it was published. It practically jumped off the page for my brother because he had once helped Mr. Newman out with his cow, and he recognized the man in the tub photo! One day, my brother happened upon Mr. Newman and his cow, who had gotten out of her pen and was wandering down the road. Angus helped return the cow to the farm, but the process was hindered by the fact that the cow was blind!


John Newman died in 1997 and his brother Henry died in 2000. The property was formally made a park in 2004.

Everyone has a story to tell. Perhaps the Newman brothers didn't think their story was all that interesting. They lived by late 1800's standards, but this was in the late 1900's... that makes for a good story!

No comments: