Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Canada Day Festivities

Today (well, yesterday by the clock, but I'm still up, so it feels like I should be able to say "today") was Canada Day.

Happy 141st Birthday to the greatest country in the world. I know that there are other people in other countries that think theirs is the best country, but I might have to disagree. Never have we wanted for anything, we have everything from rain forests to mountains to farmland to deserts... and that's all just in BC :) The rest of the country is fascinating too... and one day I am going to see it all. For this summer we are just going to explore a little more of our Province (which turns 150 this year).

On Monday, Scott found out that the next day was Canada Day. Here's a bit of the conversation...

Scott: So mom, tomorrow is Canada Day?

Me: Yes

S: So that means it's Canada's birthday?

Me: Yes, that's right!

S: So, where's the party?

Me: Oh, you want to go to the party?

S: Oh yes! And there should be cake!

So.... we went to the party (2, in fact!) and we had CAKE! We missed the cake in town, so I bought one at Safeway and wrote on it myself. I think he was happy with the party, and I am sure the neighbours all heard us singing "Happy Birthday" to Canada as we had our dinner on the back deck (which was BBQ hickory smoked chicken, compliments of my husband chef Steve :)

I took 232 pictures today. That is a close second to one day last year when I took 233. Thanks to Picasa, I can see these random facts at a glance!

Here are a few of my faves from the day... Parade, Pool and Party :)


Our flag... thanks to Grandma for this, otherwise we wouldn't have had a flag at all!


E drinking water from the bottle lid



This is the first I've heard of a Scandinavian Club! Vikings and all!!!




My kids' favourite float!


After Parade festivities...


Some serious GUB! If I had put a Swimmer under her suit she would have been ok, but she didn't seem to mind going in just the suit, and it was just in our back yard... I think she did ok!




Follow the Leader... the leader is wearing green (just in case you were wondering!)

A great way to end the day...


2 comments:

Louise said...

Looks like fun! We didn't do anything, although & had all the patriotic cupcake wrappers, tatoos and buttons... even had red shirts somewhat ready to go! Maybe when we're camping we'll have a party!

kfroese said...

looks like you guys had a great day. too bad we didn't see you there on s.fraserway, we were there too, frying our butts on the asphalt!